Employers are looking for engineers with the right skill set, who can communicate effectively, and who work well with people. Engineering is more and more a team-based profession and one that values creativity and problem-solving skills.
During a job interview, the employer is thinking:
- Are you technically competent?
- Are you trainable?
- Will you fit into the current engineering team?
- Will you be able to share your ideas, yet work with ideas beyond your own?
- Do you value our company and the purpose of the job?
- Can I trust you with my product? Do you show integrity and credibility?
- Will you get the job done?
- Do you have enthusiasm and energy?
- Will you solve my problem?
This is why it’s important for you to also vet companies and focus your search on those where you think you’ll fit best. Your passion and interest will be noticeable and you’ll be a better candidate for the positions that excite you the most.