Interviews are your chance to show recruiters what you’ll bring to the position. It’s when prove you have the skill set they’re looking for and that you’ll be a good fit for the company.
Not sure what to expect in an interview? That’s ok. We’re here to make it easier. The best way to prepare is to participate in our mock interviews. These are held either in-person or via I-Link and will help you get comfortable in those situations.
Some tips on how to prepare include:
Types of Interviews
- Why did you choose Illinois / your major?
- What is your favorite class and why?
- Tell me about yourself.
- What has been your greatest challenge / accomplishment?
- Why are you interested in working for us?
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
- A land line is best.
- Speak as if the person could see you. Smiles can be heard over the phone.
- It’s easy to be brief on the phone but provide detailed answers and specific examples.
- Ask questions about the job, employer, and interview process.
- Prepare for and conduct the interview as you would an in-person interview.
- Choose colors wisely. Shades of blue and solids are preferred; reds and patterns can be distracting on camera.
- Choose a quiet location where you won’t be disturbed.
- Utilize big picture thinking to focus on key issues in solving the problem.
- Think out loud. Provide logic and reasoning for your decisions and share your assumptions.
- Stay focused. You can ask for clarification to ensure you’re answering the question asked.
- Practice these scenarios with ECS in mock interviews.