Join us for career development programs that prepare you for success in the workplace. Many of these workshops are led by industry experts who recruit at Illinois for their company and include topics such as résumé writing, interview techniques, and negotiation strategies. A complete list of the workshops can be found on Handshake @ Illinois. Additionally, you can take advantage of opportunities to interact with company representatives on-campus or on-site through a variety of programs listed below.
Company/Program Information Sessions and Networking Events
Networking with company representatives and potential employers is a great investment of your time. You will not only learn more about industry trends and company culture, but you will make connections with individuals who are looking to grow their companies. Additionally, you’ll build your career skills, and learn about industry trends and the culture of companies.
To view the most current details of each career fair, information session or other networking event, please log in Handshake @ Illinois. Remember to also check out information sessions and networking events offered through other career services offices, all of which are posted on Handshake @ Illinois.
Company Search By Major
- Aerospace Engineering9,326
- Architectural Engineering4,302
- Automotive Engineering21,507
- Biomedical Engineering13,138
- Biotechnology & Bioinformatics4,821
- Business Analytics55,607
- Business Management814,648
- Chemical Engineering44,144
- Civil Engineering22,551
- Computer Engineering110,820
- Computer Science138,101
- Cyber Security1,848
- Electrical Engineering130,236
- Energy Conservation Engineering9,451
- Engineering Physics13,421
- Environmental Engineering27,113
- Industrial Design3,688
- Industrial Engineering15,292
- Logistics & Supply Chain Mgmt50,307
- Management Information Systems71,660
- Materials Science & Engineering70,136
- Mechanical Engineering160,077
- Medical Technology76,486
- Naval & Marine Engineering5,502
- Nuclear Engineering1,229
- Optical Engineering2,677
- Patent, Trademark & Copyright Law1,921
- Petroleum & Gas Engineering29,381
- Pharmaceutical Science69,743
- Polymer Science & Engineering2,222
- Risk Management97,255
- Science & Technology Management67,243
- Software Engineering115,907
- Structural Engineering17,905
- Transportation Engineering18,771
Company and Industry Information
There are many online resources to help you learn about companies, careers and the recruiting process. Make sure to know about a company before you interview.
- Vault.com provides in-depth intelligence on what it’s really like to work in an industry, company or profession- and how to position yourself to land that job. Search current jobs and internships, research a company, school or industry, get the inside scoop on what it’s really like, and find the career advice you need to launch your career.
- LexisNexis Academic provides access to billions of searchable documents and records from news and business sources. This site delivers company/industry news, financial data, analyst reports, and information on small companies. It also has an extensive company profile and directory database.
- Mergent is a searchable company database that pools financial data, annual reports, and industry news. Mergent has a large number of international companies and also gives you the ability to create reports in PDF, Word, or Excel formats.
- First Research specializes in industry overviews, news, and analysis.
- IBISWorld is a database of industry market research reports.
- Occupational Outlook Quarterly is published by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and features projections of occupations, industries, the labor force, and the overall economy.
- The University of Illinois Library has more resources to help your research.
- National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) Salary Calculator provides salary analysis based on data and trends from partner schools.
- Glassdoor.com allows you to search for salaries by job title, company, and location. All data is employee-reported and also includes company reviews.
- Salary.com offers a Salary Wizard that draws from a database of employer-reported salaries.
- PayScale Cost of Living Calculator: Compare how your earning potential changes when you consider jobs in different cities and states.
- PayScale’s Salary Negotiation Guide: Expert tips and tricks that anyone can use to negotiate the salary they deserve.
- Calculate your take-home pay for your target salary.
Below is a partial list of popular job boards and engines on the web. You can view a more extensive list here.
- Indeed.com – global search engine and job board
- Research Park – seeking a challenging internship or full-time position in one of hte country’s top high-tech communities
- Simplyhired.com – global search engine and job board; integrates with LinkedIn to identify potential contacts
- Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals – supply chain
- USA Jobs – federal government jobs
- GuideStar – non-profit
- MyVisaJobs.com – for international students seeking jobs in the US
- Going Global – job postings and employment outlooks for every major country in the world and state in the US; Click here to log in before gaining access to Going Global
Finding Great Startup Jobs
Startups account for a large number of jobs each year, but it’s really fragmented in terms of how startups recruit new talent. Many times, positions in startups aren’t advertised through traditional channels. You’ll need to do some creative thinking and lots of networking to learn about available positions. However, below is a partial list of popular job boards, that you can utilize in your search to alert you to some of the opportunities. More insight into securing employment in a startup can also be found here.
- AngelList.com – a place for startups to meet angel investors and find talent. Thousands of startup jobs are posted to this site.
- Built In Chicago – an online community offering hundreds of startup and tech jobs in Chicago.
- CoFoundersLab – helps entrepreneurs launch new businesses by helping them build strong founding teams and accessing capital. CoFoundersLab matches co-founders, advisers and interns.
- Dribbble – one of the largest platforms for designer to share their work and find jobs online.
- F6S – the home for founders and startup programs globally with over a hundred thousand jobs and talent looking for jobs, thousands of Startup orgs, 490k Startups and millions in free founder benefits.
- GitHub – provides mostly Engineering jobs all over the world.
- GrowthHackers – a job search platform providing marketing jobs for growth hackers.
- Illini Startups – connects Illini alums and students with a common interest in the startup movement to share ideas and serve as a mutual resource to the growing community of Illini entrepreneurs.
- Inbound – an online hub where good Marketers come to get better and find jobs.
- Piazza – Q&A platform used in many college classes also serves as a database for employers to look for students meeting specific qualifications.
- StackOverflow – Q&A website that helps programmers to learn, share their knowledge and find job opportunities.
- TheMuse – a career resource that offers a behind-the-scenes look at job opportunities with hundreds of companies, original career advice from prominent experts and access to career coaches.
- WayUp – offers part-time jobs for college students, some full-time positions occasionally.
- YCombinator – an American startup fund offering jobs at startups that were funded by it.
- JOBipedia – Job search advice direct from recruiters and hiring managers.
- National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) Job Choices Magazine – insightful articles on common job search issues
- Social Jobs Partnership – a collaboration between NACE, Facebook, the U.S. Department of Labor, DirectEmployers Association, and the National Association of State Workforce Agencies to leverage social networks to facilitate employment
- LinkedIn – Research salaries, search for internships, jobs, and much more!
- Freelance/Project work websites: fiverr, upwork, shiftgig, hourlynerd
- Micro internships (short-term projects): Parker Dewey