The Job Shadow Program offers undergraduate students the opportunity to preview your company by spending one work day on site, and because the Job Shadow Program is held over the University of Illinois Winter Break, there are no conflicts with classes. This program offers companies an opportunity to connect with some of the world’s fresh new engineering minds.
Employers select the day, determine the agenda for the visit, and the number of students to host. We ask employers to please be open to all Engineering majors, as we have a number of students who are still exploring career possibilities as Undeclared Engineering Majors. ECS staff market job shadow opportunities to students based on the information employers provide in advance. Students are responsible for all travel and lodging expenses as well as transportation.
- Brand your company by exposing students to company culture, opportunities, and new technologies.
- Showcase what professionals in your company/organization do on a daily basis, and their daily challenges.
- Get a head start in identifying potential candidates early in their college career.
- Provide students a chance to gain exposure to specific applications of their major and career interests.
- Determine the number of students you would like to accommodate.
- Determine the preferred dates and duration of the visit — typically one to two days.
- Invite employees to participate in the program. Ideally, consider younger employees and/or alumni.
- Coordinate with others in the company to plan the scope of the student’s job shadow experience to provide various applications of his/her major.
- Review student applicants in I-Link for each Job Shadow posting opportunity you’ve posted, and then invite selected candidates to participate in a Job Shadow
Items To Clear With Your Company
- Obtain appropriate clearance for the visits.
- Plan the topics to present to the students.
- Ensure that all supervisors are aware of the visit.
Items To Address With Students
- Provide a set of your company’s promotional and/or recruitment materials to the student.
- Provide directions to your office and parking information to the student.
- Discuss dress code and any restrictions with the student.
- Confirm details with the student a few days prior to the visit
2016-17 Job Shadow Timeline
Oct. 31, 2016: Last day for employers to post Job Shadow opportunities and information on I-Link
Nov. 19: Employers receive PDF of all resumes submitted by student applicants
Dec. 9: Employers must contact selected students and arrange details of the visit by this date
Jan. 9 – 13, 2017: Job shadow visits occur
Jan. 17: Employer feedback requested to ECS
Printable Copy of Timeline
Contact Engineering Career Services at 217.333.1960, or, review the 2016-2017 Employer Job Shadow Guide.