With any of our 15 majors, you will be prepared to kick-off your career with a top company and higher than average starting salary.
Take a look at common employers and average salary for each major on the undergraduate majors and minors list. We also offer salary and placement data on our website at: ecs.engineering.illinois.edu/outcomes/
And, if you’re just starting to explore career options, there are many helpful online resources. A list of recommended resources include:
Company and Industry Information
- Vault is a comprehensive online warehouse of information for students pursuing high-potential careers. This site offers employer profiles and rankings, industry blogs, message boards, its own job board, and more. As a student at the University of Illinois, you have additional access to exclusive reports and insider guides. Go to Vault and enter your Illinois email address to create an account.
- LexisNexis Academic provides access to billions of searchable documents and records from news and business sources. This site delivers company/industry news, financial data, analyst reports, and information on small companies. It also has an extensive company profile and directory database.
- Mergent is a searchable company database that pools financial data, annual reports, and industry news. Mergent has a large number of international companies and also gives you the ability to create reports in PDF, Word, or Excel formats.
- First Research specializes in industry overviews, news, and analysis.
- IBISWorld is a database of industry market research reports.
- Occupational Outlook Quarterly is published by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and features projections of occupations, industries, the labor force, and the overall economy.
- The University of Illinois Library has more resources to help your research.
- National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) Salary Calculator provides salary analysis based on data and trends from partner schools. NACE also publishes a variety of salary resources.
- Glassdoor.com allows you to search for salaries by job title, company, and location. All data is employee-reported and also includes company reviews.
- Salary.com offers a Salary Wizard that draws from a database of employer-reported salaries.
Below is a partial list of popular job boards and engines on the web. You can view a more extensive list here.
- Indeed.com – global search engine and job board
- Simplyhired.com – global search engine and job board; integrates with LinkedIn to identify potential contacts
- Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals – supply chain
- JustTechJobs.com – information systems/information technology
- USA Jobs – federal government jobs
- GuideStar – non-profit
- MyVisaJobs.com – for international students seeking jobs in the US
- Going Global – job postings and employment outlooks for every major country in the world and state in the US; Click here to log in before gaining access to Going Global
- JOBipedia – Job search advice direct from recruiters and hiring managers.
- National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) Job Choices Magazine – insightful articles on common job search issues
- Social Jobs Partnership – a collaboration between NACE, Facebook, the U.S. Department of Labor, DirectEmployers Association, and the National Association of State Workforce Agencies to leverage social networks to facilitate employment